We’re a collaborative of some of the world’s largest foundations and financial institutions, committed to fostering transformational relationships across sectors to connect those who are willing to do the work of closing racial income and wealth gaps.
We’re driven by a set of core values, which we believe are fundamental to our organizational success: collaboration, innovation, leadership, and impact as well as racial equity and inclusion. These values guide our decisions every day about what we do, why we do it, and how we will achieve our mission. Living Cities aims to collaborate and work with people who share these values.
- 401K with company match
- 20 PTO days (not including a summer and winter breaks)
- Commuter expense contributions
- Remote work flexibility
- Catered lunch during semi-monthly staff meetings
- Comprehensive health, dental, and vision plans
- HRA (Health Reimbursement Account) for medical expenses
- Optional flexible spending plans
- Professional development and membership contributions
- Racial equity and inclusion training
- Company retreats
- Additional employer-paid benefits including disability, life insurance, and an Employee Assistance Program
About the Position:
One of Living Cities’ key program areas is Capital for the New Majority (CNM). In the context of closing racial income and wealth gaps, CNM seeks to drive more capital and resources to entrepreneurs and fund managers of color. Functionally, CNM consists of a field-building program, as well as two impact investment funds. Having multiple tools at its disposal allows the CNM team to constantly innovate - by developing new hypotheses and theories, testing those ideas, learning from what has and has not worked, and sharing those lessons with the broader field.
In order to accelerate the adoption of innovative financing for the benefit of people of color and the cities in which they live, Living Cities has been making impact investments for more than a decade. These investments have largely been made out of two structured debt funds: The Catalyst Family of Funds consists of two structured debt funds that have been capitalized by 15 institutional investors, the majority of whom are Living Cities’ members. The Catalyst Fund (LCCF), a $38 million structured debt fund closed in 2008, is fully deployed and has made 19 investments, 12 of which have matured and been fully repaid. The Blended Catalyst Fund (BCF) is a $37 million fund focused on closing the racial wealth gap by supporting the development of jobs, income and wealth for people of color. The BCF achieved its final close in December 2016 and is expected to be fully deployed by the end of the 2020 calendar year.
Living Cities has an investment team of two Senior Investment Associates, a Senior Administrative Assistant and an Assistant/Associate Director that report to the Managing Director of Capital for the New Majority. This is an exciting opportunity for a technically inclined individual who is passionate about fund and portfolio management, financial analysis, loan administration and deeply committed to using capital to create better outcomes for founders of color.
The Investment Associate will primarily provide fund and portfolio management support for Living Cities' Catalyst Funds and future investment vehicles, as well assisting the Investment team with additional operational and loan administration duties. The Investment Associate will work closely with Senior Administrative Assistant and Senior Investment Associates and will report to the Assistant/Associate Director of Capital for the New Majority.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Monitor compliance with reporting and loan covenants
- Review borrower financial statements and evaluate organization trends, collateral coverage and client’s repayment ability, including data entry for financial spreads
- Manage / calculate investor capital calls and repayments
- Conduct annual risk rating reviews
- Identify problem loans, recommend collection strategies and action plans, and assist with negotiation of loan restructurings when necessary
- Handle borrower requests for amendments, extensions, etc.
Loan Servicing and Administration
- Support Assistant/Associate Director in coordinating with Finance and Administration to monitor fund financials
- Calculate interest invoices and payments
- Calculate and manage interest and principal payments, transaction
- Support Senior Administrative Assistant in process draw requests, internal transfers, interest payments and capital calls.
- Follow-up on delinquent payments
- Manage a quarterly portfolio report which tracks portfolio balances and borrower interest payment performance
- Contribute to the development and refinement of LC’s procedures and policies, including but not limited to our loan management platform, to enhance efficiency and minimize credit and operational risk.
- Support the Senior Administrative Associate in processing confirmations, invoicing and statements for investors
- Track investor disbursements and allocation across Catalyst Fund sources
- Manage and track fund covenant compliance
- Produce Quarterly and Annual Reports for investors
- Support Senior Investment Associates in entering data into our loan management system (TEA)
- Analyze & spread borrower financials
- Follow-up with borrowers on items owed to Living Cities (such as interest payments, reporting, etc.)
- Contribute to reporting
Secondary Responsibilities May Include:
Learning and storytelling
- Support Living Cities goals to synthesize lessons from our impact investing portfolio and share with key decision makers in the fields in which we work (including philanthropy, impact investing, community and mission-driven lending, community economic development, and urban public policy)
Required Experience and Knowledge:
- Four year degree or equivalent of 3 years’ work experience
- Advanced degree a plus, but not required
- Proficiency in fund and portfolio management, direct lending, and asset management
- Knowledge of urban policy and the issues affecting communities of color in U.S. cities
- Limited travel (approximately 10% of time)
- Excellent Excel skills
- High level of organization and attention to detail
- Excellent writing and verbal presentation skills
- Superior interpersonal skills, ability to manage and work in teams, interacting constructively with diverse constituents
- Highly energetic, creative problem solver exhibiting deep commitment and passion for Living Cities’ mission.
- Strong analytical skills, combined with demonstrated ability to synthesize and clearly communicate complex issues
- A sense of humor and the ability to collaborate across roles and locations
Racial Equity & Inclusion (REI):
- Foundational knowledge and core concepts
- Understands why racial equity is an integral part of Living Cities’ approach, inside and outside the organization
- Displays clear willingness to learn and apply REI history and concepts REI Practice and Analysis
- Engages with curiosity, humility and openness in discussions about race, equity and power inside and outside of the organization
- Understands how the construct of race has impacted the distribution of power and resources, and recognizes its impact on current and future outcomes across systems
COMPENSATION: Salary and benefits are competitive and commensurate with experience.
LOCATION: New York, NY or Washington, D.C.
Living Cities is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes candidates from diverse background
To apply for this position, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject line, “Investment Associate.”
Would you like to work us and don’t see an opportunity? We would love to hear from you! Email firstname.lastname@example.org to contact us.
Living Cities is committed to building a culturally diverse and inclusive team at all levels. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified candidates will receive consideration without regard to race, color, sex (including pregnancy), religion or creed, citizenship status, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, domestic partnership status, genetic information or predisposing genetic characteristics, military status, domestic violence victim status, arrest or pre-employment conviction record, or any other characteristic protected by law.