Founded in 1991, we harness the collective power of our member institutions to build a new type of urban practice. Together, we are working with cross-sector leaders in cities to develop and scale new approaches to dramatically improve the economic well-being of low-income people. Our investments, research, networks and convenings catalyze fresh thinking and combine support for innovative, comprehensive, local approaches with real-time sharing of knowledge to accelerate and deepen adoption in more places.
Living Cities' members have collectively invested more than $1 billion in America’s cities, an investment that has resulted in over $16 billion in development and follow-on investments. Yet members are not simply funders. They participate at the senior management level on the Living Cities Board of Directors and contribute the time of 80+ expert staff toward crafting and implementing the Living Cities agenda.
Digital Communications Strategist, Corporate Communications
The Digital Communications Strategist will serve as the digital voice for Living Cities. This role will lead Living Cities' online conversations by engaging key audience members in two-way communications about Living Cities initiatives, particularly Racial Equity and Inclusion and the Living Cities brand. Reporting to the Assistant Director of Branding and Engagement, the Digital Communications Strategist will serve as the organization’s leader on digital advocacy. Your goal is to inform organizational influencers about techniques that dramatically improve the economic well-being of low-income people by spreading our proven practices.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Provides digital leadership for Living Cities on matters including but not limited to:
Social Media Leadership
- Serve as the digital voice for Living Cities;
- Produce creative content for the Living Cities blog and social networking sites;
- Ensure brand integrity on blog and digital platforms;
- Write daily updates to social media platforms;
- Maintain the integrity and quality of Living Cities’ online properties through ongoing maintenance, quality assurance testing, updating out-of-date content and purging/archiving expired content;
- Partner with the Content Strategy team to execute a plan that moves readers up our digital engagement funnel;
- Identify and implement opportunities to expand the Living Cities audience;
- Research and recommend industry news and influencers.
- Build and leverage promotional partnerships to effectively spread Living Cities’ content;
- Assist with design, development and deployment of e-newsletters through Mailchimp;
- Assist in the execution of newsroom and rapid response campaigns;
- Support content development and promotional activities for signature campaigns;
- Provide analytics and performance measurement support to internal stakeholders;
- Coordinate with event teams to gather social media worthy content.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Experience managing external contractors;
- Experience with video production and editing software;
- Experience with Search Engine Marketing (SEM), Pay Per Click (PPC), and Search Engine Optimization (SEO) strategies a plus;
- Working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite, Canva, and other online design software
Location: Washington, D.C. or New York, NY
Apply: Submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Digital Communications Strategist”. Cover letter should include: Preferred office location - New York or Washington, DC, and describe your interest in this position.
Living Cities 2018 Summer Internship Program
Living Cities is seeking dedicated, innovative minds to join us this summer and gain valuable experience in the philanthropic, corporate and public sectors. This internship is a 40-hour per week, 8 week commitment. Specific placements and assignments will be based on candidate’s interests and the organization’s needs. Program areas may include, but are not limited to:
- Collective Impact
- Capital Innovation
- Public Sector Innovation
- Open Sourcing Social Change (Communications)
- Learning and Evaluation
- Equity and Inclusion
- Talent and Human Resources
- Administration and Operations
Roles and Responsibilities: Sample responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Research policies and community development practices nationwide that improve outcomes for low-income communities, especially people of color.
- Create graphics, powerpoints and other visuals for internal and external spread of organizational knowledge.
- Execute written products including meeting minutes, press releases, blog posts, research papers, spreadsheets with data captures, biographies, etc.
- Support communication and social media strategies on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn.
- Provide administrative support to staff to assist with travel, scheduling, expense reports, and event planning.
Qualifications: The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Passionate about dramatically improving the lives of low-income people in US cities, particularly people of color
- Detail oriented, delivers quality work on a consistent basis
- A demonstrated interest in urban affairs, municipal innovation, data analysis, collective impact, and addressing income inequality
- Ability to take initiative and work independently, and in a team
- Excellent writing, researching, editing, and analytical skills
- Self-starter who exhibits a positive and hard-working attitude.
- An open mind and willingness to engage with those who share different opinions and beliefs
Education and Experience:
- Rising juniors, seniors, and graduate students preferred
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, and Power Point), Adobe Acrobat, and Customer Relationship Management databases (i.e. Salesforce)
- Intermediate or Advanced Microsoft Excel skills
Compensation: Stipend provided Academic credit can be arranged Relocation expenses are not covered
Location: New York, NY or Washington, DC
Apply: Submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject “Summer Intern 2018.” Cover Letter should address: Preferred office location - New York or Washington, DC, and describe your interests and experience in any of our programmatic areas. No phone calls please.
About Living Cities: Living Cities harnesses the collective power of 18 of America’s largest foundations and financial institutions to transform the lives of low income people in America’s urban neighborhoods. Over the past 15 years, Living Cities' members have collectively invested more than $1 billion in America’s cities, resulting in over $16 billion in development and follow-on investments. Living Cities’ investments, research, networks, and convenings catalyze fresh thinking. We combine support for innovative, local approaches with real-time sharing of learning to accelerate adoption in more cities.
Living Cities is committed to building a culturally diverse and inclusive team at all levels. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified candidates will receive consideration without regard to race, color, sex (including pregnancy), religion or creed, citizenship status, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, domestic partnership status, genetic information or predisposing genetic characteristics, military status, domestic violence victim status, arrest or pre-employment conviction record, or any other characteristic protected by law.