Founded in 1991, we harness the collective power of our member institutions to build a new type of urban practice. Together, we are working with cross-sector leaders in cities to develop and scale new approaches to dramatically improve the economic well-being of low-income people. Our investments, research, networks and convenings catalyze fresh thinking and combine support for innovative, comprehensive, local approaches with real-time sharing of knowledge to accelerate and deepen adoption in more places.
Living Cities' members have collectively invested more than $1 billion in America’s cities, an investment that has resulted in over $16 billion in development and follow-on investments. Yet members are not simply funders. They participate at the senior management level on the Living Cities Board of Directors and contribute the time of 80+ expert staff toward crafting and implementing the Living Cities agenda.
Senior Investment Associate, Catalyst Funds
The Catalyst Funds are two structured debt funds, totaling approximately $80 million, that allow Living Cities to make impact investments that align with our impact objectives. The Senior Investment Associate would be responsible for working with the team that manages the Catalyst Funds. This is an exciting opportunity for an entrepreneurial individual who has transactional experience to apply their deal-making skills to generate positive returns for both investors and communities.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Supports the Catalyst Funds team on the following matters, including but not limited to:
- Prepare investor reporting.
- Ensure fund-level covenant compliance.
- Track cash inflows and outflows from underlying investments and lenders.
- Manage relationship with borrower on behalf of Living Cities.
- Represent Living Cities on governance committees.
- Track reporting. Monitor financial and impact performance.
- Perform regular risk assessments.
- Make recommendations related to amendments, waivers.
New Deal Origination:
- Source new transactions.
- Work with senior investment officers on negotiating, structuring, diligence.
- Perform financial analysis.
- Present new transactions to investment committee for approval.
- Work with counsel on financing agreements.
Ensure Programmatic Connections with Rest of Living Cities:
- Understand Living Cities other programs.
- Coordinate Catalyst Fund activities in a manner that leverages Living Cities other assets, including relationships.
Harvest Lessons Learned/ Thought Leadership:
- Systematically draw out lessons learned in service of Living Cities programmatic objectives. Share insights by writing blogs, public speaking.
This is an exciting opportunity for an analytical individual with a strong interest in impact investing. The ideal candidate is self-motivated, thrives in entrepreneurial environments and has demonstrated success conducting rigorous investment analysis.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- 3-5 years of transactional experience, ideally in commercial lending or investment banking, with formal credit training
- Comfort with financial modeling and Microsoft Excel
- Experience structuring, negotiating, and closing transactions
- Experience with complex financing agreements that involve multiple parties
- Experience with asset management
- Strong writing skills
- Execution skills: Able to produce significant volumes of high-quality work
- Good sense of humor, collaborative spirit
- An interest in Living Cities other programmatic work
Location: Washington, D.C. or New York, NY
Compensation Commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits package that includes medical, dental, life, 401(k), transportation subsidy, and more.
Apply: Submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject “Senior Associate, Catalyst Funds” Cover letter should include: Preferred office location - New York or Washington, DC, and describe your interest in this position.
No phone calls please.
About Living Cities: Living Cities harnesses the collective power of 18 of America’s largest foundations and financial institutions to transform the lives of low income people in America’s urban neighborhoods. Over the past 15 years, Living Cities' members have collectively invested more than $1 billion in America’s cities, resulting in over $16 billion in development and follow-on investments. Living Cities’ investments, research, networks, and convenings catalyze fresh thinking. We combine support for innovative, local approaches with real-time sharing of learning to accelerate adoption in more cities.
Living Cities is committed to building a culturally diverse and inclusive team at all levels. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified candidates will receive consideration without regard to race, color, sex (including pregnancy), religion or creed, citizenship status, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, domestic partnership status, genetic information or predisposing genetic characteristics, military status, domestic violence victim status, arrest or pre-employment conviction record, or any other characteristic protected by law.